In Canada, people who have recently left another country to settle here are commonly referred to as "newcomers to Canada". As a newcomer, one of the most important steps in your transition is finding a job in Canada.
On this page, you will find everything you need to know to start your job search journey.
If you are currently located in another country, there are steps you need to take before you can live and work in Canada. Canadian employers may not respond to your job applications if you are not authorized to work here. Visit our page for new immigrants to learn more.
Unless you already have a work permit, you will need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada. If you are eligible, you should apply for a SIN as soon as you come to Canada.
In Canada, most occupations are non-regulated. However, some occupations are regulated, which means you need specific professional licenses or certifications to work in those jobs.
Before you apply to jobs in Canada, you should verify if the occupation that interests you is regulated. You should also find out whether your credentials and degrees are recognized in Canada.
You can use the Foreign Credential Recognition Tool to learn:
- If the occupation that interests you is regulated, and how to contact the regulatory body or apprenticeship authority.
- The steps, time and cost involved in getting your credentials recognized for that occupation.
- The job prospects and average salary for that occupation across Canada.
- If there are similar jobs that you could consider until your credentials are recognized in Canada.
Foreign Credential Recognition Tool
Canada has two official languages: English and French. Depending on where you want to live and the type of work you want to do in Canada, improving your skills in one or both of these languages will help you get a job.
To get started with language training:
Newcomers who have a permanent resident or refugee status are eligible for language classes funded by the Government of Canada. Some provinces and territories offer language classes for temporary workers, foreign students and new citizens. You can also consider registering for courses at a private school.
Whether you’re still planning your move to or you’ve already arrived in Canada, there are many free services available to help you integrate the Canadian labour market.
Before you come to Canada, you may be able to access pre-arrival services that can help you to:
- Prepare to live and work in Canada.
- Get your education, work experience and credentials recognized in Canada.
- Connect with Canadian employers.
Once you arrive in Canada, you can get in touch with settlement professionals who will help you to:
- Look for work in Canada.
- Get a language assessment and register for language classes.
- Find a place to live and access community services.
Job Bank offers a wide range of free tools to simplify every step of your job search in Canada.
With a Job Bank account, you can:
- Get notified by email when new jobs are advertised.
- Get matched to jobs and let employers invite you to apply.
- Create a professional resume and submit your application directly through Job Bank.
If you are having trouble finding work in your field of experience, or if you’re just not sure where to start your job search, you can take one of Job Bank’s career quizzes. This will help you find out what occupations may be a good fit for you based on your skills, interests and personality.
Other useful resources
- Start your life in Canada
- Prepare to work in Canada
- Services for newcomers
- Taxes, credits and benefits for newcomers
- Get to know Canada - Provinces and territories
- How to write a good resume
- Resume Builder - Build a professional resume
- Language training options for newcomers (Video)
- Searching for jobs in Canada (Video)
Download our fact-sheet in the language of your choice to learn how to use Job Bank:
- What is Job Bank? - English (PDF)
- Qu’est-ce que le Guichet-Emplois? - French (PDF)
- ما هو بنك الوظائف - عربي (PDF)
- 什么是 JOB BANK - 中国人 (PDF)
- چیست؟ - دریJOB BANK (PDF)
- بانک شغل (جاب بانک) چيست؟ - فارسی (PDF)
- 이민자 서비스 단체를 위한 자료 안내문 - 한국어 (PDF)
- جاب بانک څه شی دی - پښتو (PDF)
- CZYM JEST JOB BANK - Język polski (PDF)
- O QUE É O JOB BANK - Português (PDF)
- Ce este Job Bank - Română (PDF)
- Что такое Банк вакансий? - Pусский (PDF)
- QUÉ ES JOB BANK - Español (PDF)
- Ano ang Job Bank - Tagalog (PDF)
- Що таке Job Bank (банк вакансій) - украї́нська (PDF)
- Date modified: